Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Model 19 HF Driver?

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    If you readt the Beheringer amp thread, you see that I blew one of the Model 19 HF drivers. I have 1978 models, so they are Alnico 802's. I have a couple of pairs of 902's in the barn. Is there any reason to try the 902's or is the 802 superior in any way?

    Also, being that these drivers are almost 30 years old, should I have both 802's remag'ed and both diaphrams replaced so that the sound will be the same on both sides?

    Any suggestions, ideas, or ???

  2. #2
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Carl, Your drivers are most likely 802-8Gs with original 23744 diaphragms otherwise known as Light diaphragms and probably the best there ever was for these drivers.

    Suitable replacements are available from Great Plains Audio and the number is 34647.

    The last ones I had repaired cost $90 each which included recharging the magnets and new diaphragms installed.

    Some can hear a difference while us older geezers can't!

    Possibly, your 23744 can be repaired because what usually fries them is the lead where it takes a 90 degree turn.

    I don't have any 902s and have never heard them so I can't respond to that. I can listen to both the 802-8Gs with both the 23744 diaphragms and the 34647s right here and can't hear any difference but my ears are 55 and certainly not up to snuff. My wife does prefer the old to the new so let your situation be your guide.

    I've never found the value in spending big bucks if I can't hear the benefits.

    902s have ferrite magnets and this is yet another boom-a-rang thrown into the equasion.
    Some find them better while others prefer the old Alnicos.

    You can also complicate matters even more by introducing other drivers like the BMS 4550 or 4552 which bolts right on and is supposedly better then the originals as far as frequency range goes.

    All are matters of personal preference so do as you may but you do have many options.

    Gary

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gary,

    You are absolutely correct! The 802-8G's are what I have. Just pulled the horn out of the box. Popped the cover off the driver. The lead to the voice coil is broken! Bingo!

    Now... can I solder that back into place myself, or is there a more complicated process to get this corrected? It is broken at the middle of the lead at the 90 degree bend.

    Thanks for the tip.

    My wife is going to be in OKC on Tuesday and Thursday, so no big deal to have her drop it off at Bill's and pick it back up this week. Assuming he fixes that kind of problem.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't know if Bill will do this repair or not.
    He sells suitable replacements and will certainly do a re mag when he installs the new fram.
    I never repaired one of my own but have sent them to a friend who does a fantastic job on them. I have also bought them with DIY repairs I would not give a nickle for. There is an art to it.

    If I was going for new ones and going to be in or near OKC I am sure I would do both drivers with the same and save the old frams to get them repaired by a competent person.

    I can't out right offer up my friends services but will touch base and see if he would be willing. I have a couple here in need of repair also so I need to call him any way.

    I am also not sure of the reliability after repair but I can't hear any difference and all seems to be working fine.

    The new diaphragms don't have that stupid bend and can handle much greater power as I am told.

    Gary

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I believe the 902-8A to be as good as or even better than the 802-8G.
    If you have one, give it a try.

    I think you can repair the broken lead, I'd use a microscope and a real fine tip soldeing iron. A Metcal works well.

    Ron

  6. #6
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Model 19s do have 1200Hz XOs and are a perfect match for the 802-8G driver.
    I am not sure what the 902s require but many here have mentioned good things about them.

    Where maintaining the complete Vintage attitude is a concern, your best bet is the new frams from GPA.

    Gary

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    902s work fine, late Nineteens used 902s. I tried 902s in my Nineteens and heard no difference. Then I put the 802s back.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For some reason, I don't think the 902 will work properly with the crossover that came with the 802 drivers. I remember reading somewhere (perhaps here on another thread) that there is a reason that altec changed to 1200 Hz crossovers when they started using 902's, as opposed to 500 and 800 for the 800 series drivers.

    So, I guess if you do decide to use the 902's, you might want to get different crossovers and run them at 1200.

    Of course, I could be imagining all that too, but I do seem to remember reading it somewhere!

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Model 19 HF Driver?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Charles is correct- the 900 series drivers don't like 800 as well as the Alnicos. Altec used a few that low with loading caps if I recall.

    I don't think the 900's are any better than Alnicos with Tangerines- YMMV.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I guess I didn't realize that the 19's were 1200Hz, but now that I think about it, I did know that some of them had 902's.

    I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28261621 times.